Playwright Competition & Workshop
DeArmon CAST seeks to nurture young and aspiring students in the process of writing quality plays. A staff of professional directors and writers will consider each submission and select four to be taken from the page to the stage.
Submissions must be received by 5/29/19. The top four playwrights will be announced on CAST website on 6/1/19. Performance of each production will take place on Friday, June 28 at the Coffee House/Reveal Night.
Students who have attended at least one semester at CAST and are ages 10-19 may submit an entry. Finalists must be prepared to collaborate with a mentor provided by CAST to bring the production to life for June 28.
· Plays must be original work.
· Plays must have a running time of 10-15 minutes.
· Plays may have a maximum of 10 (ten) characters.
· Submissions may be an excerpt of a larger work but should have stand-alone value.
· Subject matter, while not required to be overtly Christian in nature, must have redeeming social values that are ultimately uplifting or thought provoking.
Upon selection, each playwright will work with a mentor provided by CAST. Together with the playwright, the mentor will assist in preparing the script for stage, casting the play, as well as scheduling and/or guiding the rehearsals. CAST resources (costumes, small sets pieces and props) will be available to winning selections.
Submission fee: $25.00 Each work will receive a critique from a CAST director. – Students MUST register on Active under ‘Playwright Workshop’
Fee for Winners $200.00 includes mentoring, use of ten microphones, CAST resources, rehearsal space and times, performance on stage June 28.
Submissions are to be emailed to in firstname.lastname@example.org